“The practice of Massage Therapy is the assessment of the soft tissue and joints of the body and the treatment and prevention of physical dysfunction and pain of the soft tissue and joints by manipulation to develop, maintain, rehabilitate or augment physical function, or relieve pain “Massage Therapy Act, 1991
Prior education in the areas of anatomy, physiology, pathology, orthopedic assessment, nutrition and remedial exercise, is essential, as these topics are incorporated and included on MCQ and OSCE testing but not formally taught. Focus is on the following topics: CMTO regulatory requirements, ethical and professional practice, legislation governing the profession, introductory concepts of massage therapy, introductory and advanced massage techniques, hydrotherapy, and the outcome- based massage therapy treatment framework based on common injures, impairments, and conditions.
Lectures and practical instruction are delivered over 26 classes conducted from 9am-5pm in 9 weekend modules (Friday, Saturday and Sunday). The program begins in late September. Modules occur once each month until the following June.
Considerable time will be spent ensuring a high level of preparation for the CMTO provincial exams. Students will complete 200 class hours plus 350 clinical hours. Clinical hours may extend beyond the ending of the class modules.
- Certified Athletic Therapist
- Other qualified Health Professionals if specific conditions are met
- Current Standard First Aid & CPR Level C
- Clear Vulnerable Sector Screening Police Clearance
- English Language Proficiency
Application Process Open: January 1, 2022
1. Submit an Inquiry using the form on the website
2. Receive an email with information about the application process.
3. Complete the Questionnaire using the emailed link AND send Transcripts and Athletic Therapy Certification to the Director of Academics.
4. Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) will take up to 4 weeks
5. After review of submitted documentation, you will be informed of the result. You will be invited to schedule a meeting with the Massage Therapy Program Coordinator.
6. if you are a suitable candidate for the program, you will be permitted to book an Entrance Exam. Entrance Exam dates will be April, May, June, and July 2022.
7. Acceptances will be sent out beginning July 1, 2022